Friday, April 07, 2006

More History Channel Fun

Wasn't I supposed to spend Lent creating brilliant theological essays? Yes, you see how well this has worked.

So, anyway, I was watching more History Channel last night. They ran two specials about the Antichrist and the coming of the end.

Now, as I've posted before, I don't believe in any kind of literal interpretation of Revelation at all. But I always watch these End of the World specials. Generally, I sit there and argue with the narrator. (For some reason, the History Channel specials on the supernatural always seem biased in favor of whomever believes in the topic of the special.) These specials both had a few interview clips with Frank Griswold, the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, as one of the "voices of reason" who take a decidedly non-literal interpretation. And it was obvious that poor Bishop Griswold was trying not to roll his eyes at the inanity of some of the questions being asked of him.

So, while I was sitting there listening to the dispensationalists describe exactly what is going to happen when the Antichrist comes to power (and I will swear to you that televangelist Benny Hinn's southern accent is fake-- he sounds like a refugee from a Grisham movie), it occurred to me that these people must think the Antichrist is a complete idiot.

Think about it. For a couple hundred years now, they've been publicizing these things. And yet they still think the Antichrist is going to do what they SAY he's going to do? Like he'd use 666 for anything when it's gotten such a bad rep! New world order? Pfft. A REAL Antichrist would find much more indetectible ways of doing evil.

(And why do these folks always assume the Antichrist is male? The Beast described in Daniel and in Revelation is never once referred to as male. The pronoun is always "it.")

For that matter, why would the Antichrist even bother doing all these things anyway? The prophecy's been written, s/he knows how the story ends. So why not skip all the trouble and use all that power and charisma to lead a life of leisure on some tropical island?

See? Strange things pop into my head while I watch the History Channel.

2 Comments:

At 4/13/2006 4:04 PM, Blogger Tirithien said...

The Antichrist, if it even exists, won't be as obvious as the Bible claims. Plain and simple.

 
At 4/18/2006 10:25 AM, Blogger clew said...

That's exactly it. The two points which bug me so in pop culture assumption about this topic:

1.) The Antichrist will not be obviously evil - he will need to be charismatic and persuasive adn charming to all types, which is how he'll rake in so many legions of fans.

2.) There's no way anyone is supposed to know when the "end times" will arrive. Only God knows that. The simple fact that anyone will attempt to predict it automatically discredits them.

Obviously I believe in the scripture's account in the Revelation. Do I think it's literal? No. I'm quite sure the 666 mark is not literally going to be 666. Again, way too obvious. But there will be some sort of coding. Perhaps as some speculate, an embedded chip to replace our driver's license, social security card, and bank information. Perhaps something else not yet conceived.

God tells us not to try and predict future events. Just be aware of the signs - which won't make sense until they come into their own.

Just my conclusion on it all. :) I do like watching these shows, though. I like to learn about why people believe what they believe about things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home